Damp and Timber Surveys and Treatments ~ Frequently Asked Questions

Damp and Timber Surveys and Treatments

What is a Damp Proof Course?
The damp proof course is incorporated into a permeable wall to prevent moisture rising from the ground into the structural fabric of the building. The natural movement of ground water through the pores of a masonry wall occurs via a process called capillarity, a phenomenon more commonly known as rising damp.
What is rising damp?
Rising damp is water from the ground that transfers up a structure by capillary action. A wall in contact with the ground will become damp when ground moisture rises up it. This effect could typically lead to wood rot in skirting boards, timber floors, flaking paint, peeling wallpaper and visual mould.
Can Rising damp be stopped?
Yes, remedial damp proofing work is required which may include the installation of a chemical damp proof course, chemical damp proof course is injected into the ground floor walls, internally and externally, to form a silicone barrier to stop capillary rising dampness.
Are there any other consequences of Rising Damp?
Yes, the existing plaster will be heavily contaminated with hygroscopic salts and sulphates from the moisture in the rising damp. Unless special plaster incorporating a 'waterproofer ' or 'salt inhibitor' or a combination of both is used the salts will act like a sponge and draw in moisture into the brickwork again.
How much is all this going to cost?
It will depend on several factors, the construction of the property, the size of the property, the severity of the problem and how long the Rising Damp has been allowed to continue. The best action you can take is to call for a damp survey, this will provide you with detailed information and a quotation for any work required.
Are there other kinds of damp problems?
Yes, be careful who you trust to conduct your damp survey, some "damp surveyors" have only attended a short course of a few days. CRST qualified surveyors are fully trained have to pass three exams and attend an oral examination conducted by three experts. They have been fully trained to recognise and offer recommendations for Rising Damp, Penetrating Damp, Wet Rot and Dry Rot and condensation problems and the associated moulds.
Is there anything else I should be aware of when choosing a surveyor?
Yes, ensure the company is a member of PCA (Property care Association) members are assessed every two years and testing is strict and of the highest standards possible. All aspects of the business are scrutinised financial reports reports, health and safety, qualifications (surveyors have to be CRST qualified) previous surveys are reviewed and the recommendations made are studied in detail. The combination of a CRST qualified surveyor and a PCA company means you will receive the best advice possible and the most accurate diagnosis of your damp problem.

Damp and Timber Specialists covering Devon and Cornwall

We are specialists in treating rising damp, woodworm, condensation control, basement tanking and completing all associated building works, such as plastering and carpentry.
Please call for more information or to book a survey.